Sunday, May 17, 2015

Imitation is the Best Form of Flattery

Imitation is the Best Form of Flattery

     For the last two weeks I've been woking on a music meant to mimic the stylistic choices of an already made music video. My group and I began to search for a video that had a style we found interesting, but also was simple enough that we could re-create it with our limited resources. Eventually we decided on Let's Go by Matt and Kim, because we knew we had access to a green screen and could get ahold of a few actors.

     Once we had decided on the video we were going to re-create we began assigning which costumes each of us would be in charge of bringing to the shoot. Then we began texting as many people as we could asking if they would be interested in acting in our film. Once we had the video completely planned out we began production. We set up the camera in front of the green screen and began messing with the lighting until it was just right. Once that was done we began dressing our actors in their costumes. After filming was complete we began editing which took a decent amount of time due to all of the backgrounds we needed to insert.

     This was the first time I had used the green screen and I learned a lot about the importance of lighting in a video, especially one that involved key framing. It was also one of my first experiences in directing actors and I learned how important it is to give your direction clearly and concisely to get exactly want you want.

     If I were to do something different I would have found a group of more reliable actors. Most of our actors were just looking to get out of class and weren't actually interested in helping create our video.

Overall I feel the journey was a little rocky, but I am happy with the result.

- Daniel
   


Here is the original

Here is our version

No comments:

Post a Comment